Saturday, February 18, 2012

A longer list than I'd realized

There are still a couple of things that I've gotten that haven't been documented here yet. They'll get more discussion later on. This is really mostly a list with pictures. I now have a Macintosh LC II, which has the notable property that it can host the Apple IIe emulator card, which might make moving software between Mac and Apple II platforms easier (plus, it's just cool). I don't have the emulator card yet, but I intend to.

Lcii label

There's an Apple //e machine that I got some time ago, which contains a number of cards, most notably a Novation Apple-Cat ][. That one starts, but the disk drive that was in it doesn't work, so I need to do something with it and just haven't had a chance. But here's a picture at least.

Iie zthe boredom

Also, on my recent trip to the recycler, I got a ruby iMac G3 (for basically nothing). I'm going to need to put in a hard drive, but it turned out to have an AirPort card already inside. I've got a iMac DV/SE on its way (the best looking of all the translucent iMacs, in my opinion, and also the one that I used to have as my main machine). The photo of the graphite DV/SE below is from the auction, but I should have it soon. Both are relatively usable and modern, but I think I really have them for their looks. I also have an original Bondi Blue iMac that I salvaged, but the last time I tried to turn it on, nothing happened, so that one may require some work.

Ruby imac Imac dvse auction Bondi imac

A third machine that was acquired at the recycler was a "MacLamp" iMac G4, though I didn't take a picture of mine. Here's a stock photo.

Imac flat up

I also have an iBook SE that I've had since it was new, and it still starts up but I think the hard drive is getting close to failing, so I'll probably need to replace it. However, replacing it is quite a procedure (you don't even see the hard drive until step 34 of the ifixit guide, step 50 of this other guide), so that may not happen soon.

Ibook se open

Also, the battery is dead, which can probably only be solved by finding another one to buy.

Ibook se closed battery

What else? There's also a couple of eMacs that I want to set up and make AirPort-capable, and a bunch of PowerMac G4s (one MDD, something like five of the earlier kind) that probably need hard drives and power supplies. I have a PowerMac G3 and a couple of PowerMac 7500/100s and a PowerMac 6116CD and a PowerMac 8600/200, all of which were salvaged from the trash and may not be in very good shape, but which I may at some point want to make start. And my Duo 2300c, from graduate school, which still seems to be working fine (though it too may not have very good batteries at this point).

Tower of powermacs Pm8600 200 Duo mdd pmg4 G4s over lcii

I think that's about it. Unless I can manage to get an Apple /// or a Lisa. I'm still toying with the idea of getting a platinum //e as well, and I'd probably take a Bell & Howell Apple ][+ or an original Apple ][ if one were within reach. Hard to believe that all fits in this little office I've got, but so far it does. It's conceivable that I might eventually (once they're clean and working) unload some of the duplicates, since I don't really particularly need/want more than a representative sample. (Though, then again, having parts machines in the event of failure doesn't seem unwise either. But, whatever, everything mentioned here is really kind of a long way off I expect. There's a lot of real work to do in the meantime.)

No comments: